Stavros T. Constantinou
The Ohio State University
1680 University Drive
Mansfield, Ohio 44906
Associate Professor of Geography, The Ohio State University, Mansfield
Education and Degrees
- 1982 Ph.D. Geography, Kent State University
- 1978 M.S. Geography, Western Kentucky University
- 1978 A.S. Cartography, Western Kentucky University
- 1974 B.A. Geography, Cyprus College
- 1972 Diploma, Paedagogical Academy (Teachers Training College)
Stavros's research contributions follow two interrelated lines of inquiry:
(1) population (migration) and (2) ethnicity. His approach to the investigation
of both areas is a theoretical one. Stavros is concerned with modeling
of the macrodynamics of international migration and its application to
the cases of Greece and Cyprus, areas with which he is most intimately
Stavros's work in the area of ethnic studies deals with the modeling
of ethnicity and the empirical testing of the model to the analysis of
Greek American ethnicity, especially as manifested in Northeastern Ohio.
Currently, Stavros is pursuing additional research on the population
geography of Cyprus, with particular emphasis on the evolution of population
centers since the time of British occupation. He is also working on the
creation of a database on the population centers of the island using the
Constantinou, Stavros T. “Cypriot Americans.” In Encyclopedia of Race, Ethnicity, and Society, Vol.1, edited by Richard T. Schaefer, pp. 365-367. Thousand, Oaks, California: Sage Publications, Inc., 2008.
Constantinou, Stavros T. "Ethnic Residential Shifts: The Greek Population of Akron, Ohio, 1930-2005.” GeoJournal 68: 253-265. An invited article for a special issue on “Immigrants and Transnational Experiences in World Cities.” 2007.
Constantinou, Stavros T. and Harvey, Milton E. "The Persistence of Greek American Ethnicity Among Age Cohorts Under Changing Conditions In Race, Ethnicity and Place in a Changing America, edited by John Frazier and Eugene L. Tettey-Fio, pp. 339-352. Binghamton, NY: Global Academic Publishing, 2006.
Constantinou, Stavros T. “Profiles of Greek Americans.” In Geographical Identities in America: Race, Place, and Space, edited by Kate Berry and Martha Henderson, pp. 92-115. Reno, Nevada: University of Nevada Press, 2002.
- Constantinou, Stavros T. “Eminent Ethnic Americans: Cypriots.” In Making It in America: A Sourcebook on Eminent Ethnic Americans, edited by Elliot R. Barkan, pp. 71-72, 324-325. Santa Barbara, California: ABC-Clio Books, 2001.
- Constantinou, Stavros T. "Cypriots." In American Immigrant
Cultures: Builders of a Nation, Vol. 1, edited by David Levinson and
Melvin Ember, pp. 205-209. New York: Macmillan Reference USA, 1997.
- Constantinou, Stavros T. "Greek American Networks." In The
Networks of Diasporas, edited by Georges Prevelakis, pp. 305-322. Nicosia,
Cyprus: Cyprus Research Center, 1996.
- Constantinou, Stavros T. "The Changing Spatial Aspects of the
Population of Cyprus." Modern Greek Studies Yearbook 10/11
- Constantinou, Stavros T. "Population in Northeastern Ohio."
In Economic and Development Atlas of Northeast Ohio, edited by Robert
B. Kent, pp. 20-25. Akron, Ohio: The University of Akron Press, 1992.
- Constantinou, Stavros T. "Economic Factors and Political Upheavals
as Determinants of International Migration: The Case of Cyprus." In
Praktika tou protou diethnous symposiou kypriakis metanastefsis: istoriki
kai koinoniologiki theorisi (Proceedings of the First International
Symposium on Cypriot Emigration: Historical and Sociological Considerations),
Cyprus Research Centre and Service for Overseas Cypriots, pp. 139-172.
Nicosia, Cyprus: Imprinta Ltd, 1990.
- Constantinou, Stavros T. "Dominant Themes and Intergenerational
Differences in Ethnicity: The Greek Americans in Northeastern Ohio."
Sociological Focus 22 (May 1989): 99-118.
- Diamantides, Nicholas D. and Constantinou, Stavros T. "Modeling
the Macrodynamics of International Migration: Determinants of Emigration
from Cyprus." Environment and Planning A 21 (July 1989): 927-950.
- Walle, A. H. and Constantinou, Stavros T. "Ethnic identity and
tourism marketing." In Tourism Marketing and Management Handbook,
edited by Stephen F. Witt and Luiz Moutinho, pp. 137- 140. London: Prentice
Hall International, 1989.
- Constantinou, Stavros T. and Diamantides, Nicholas D. "Modeling
International Migration: Emigration from Greece to the United States, 1820-1980."
Annals of the Association of American Geographers 75 (September
- Constantinou, Stavros T. and Harvey, Milton E. "Dimensional Structure
and Intergenerational Differences in Ethnicity: The Greek Americans."
Sociology and Social Research (January 1985): 234-254.