DEADLINES: For your application to receive full consideration for both funding and admission, please ensure that it is COMPLETE by November 30 for international students or December 15 for domestic students. A "complete application" refers to having everything (application, CV, Statement, transcripts and letters of recommendation) submitted and marked as complete in the online system.
It can take multiple weeks from submission of your online application to your ancillary materials being processed and marked as complete by the Department and Graduate Admission. As a result, you will need to begin the process a few weeks prior to the deadline. If you are unable to meet these deadlines please contact the Department. The Department cannot guarantee full consideration for admission if you fail to meet the deadline.
STEP ONE - The Application:
- Complete Graduate Admissions Online Application. (The completed on-line form will be forwarded automatically to the Geography department; please do not send duplicates of anything throughout the process.) The materials referenced below will need to be submitted during this process. Please note that the Department of Geography will not accept anything that is emailed from you or your references.
- Official GRE score report. Be aware that it typically takes 4-6 weeks to register for a GRE test, and 6-8 weeks to process the results. Arrange for ETS to send the scores to: OSU institution code #1592 and department code #2203 for Geography OR #0501 for Atmospheric Sciences. Do not send copies of your GRE Report to either Graduate Admissions or the Department of Geography.
- International Students Only: Official TOEFL exam report. Arrange for the scores to be sent to: OSU institution code #1592 and department code #70 for Geography OR #99 for Atmospheric Sciences. Do not send copies of your TOEFLS report to either Graduate Admissions or the Department of Geography.
- While filling out your application you will be given the option to electronically submit your letters of recommendation. You are highly encouraged to select this option and have your references submit their letters electronically through the application system. If you fail to select this option then your three references must mail their letters of recommendation to the Department of Geography (with the two-page mandatory cover-sheets). Remember to give your references plenty of time to write their letters and do not under any circumstance submit your letters of recommendation through both the online application system and through the mail.
- Your Statement of Purpose will lay out your research interests and academic direction. Make sure that you CLEARLY identify a faculty Mentor in your statement and please limit your statement to around 2 pages or 1200 words in length. We prefer that you upload your statement along with your application. Remember that we will not accept an emailed statement and please do not submit multiple copies of your statement to the Department of Geography. If you wish to re-write your statement of purpose please secure your Mentor’s approval before mailing it to the Department of Geography.
- Your curriculum vitae (CV). This cannot be emailed and should be uploaded along with your application. Please do not submit multiple copies of your CV
- One official transcript from each university that you have attended
- Pay the application fee at; Ohio State Graduate Admissions.
upload, mail or email any of the following items to the Department of Geography and/or Graduate Admissions:
- Writing samples (those may be requested by your mentor but they should NOT be part of your application)
- Financial Documents (these will be requested by Graduate Admissions for every international applicant accepted into the program, but they should NOT be part of your application package).
- Certificates of any kind
- Photocopies of your passport
STEP TWO - Transcripts:
Please upload a copy of your transcript(s) to your application OR you can email your transcript(s) to Graduate Admissions (firstname.lastname@example.org). Remember to include a copy for each university/college that you have attended and to upload each as a separate document. Also, please include both the front and back page of your transcript(s).
If you get accepted then you will need to mail sealed official transcripts to both the Department of Geography (Address to: Graduate Studies Chair, Dept. of Geography, Ohio State University, 1036 Derby Hall, 154 North Oval Mall, Columbus, OH 43210-1361) and to
Graduate Admissions (Address to: Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions, SAS Building, 281 West Lane Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210-1132). Prior to enrollment, you may also need to mail additional sealed official transcripts to both Graduate Admissions and to the Department of Geography in order to verify that you have received the appropriate degree.
STEP THREE - Finish:
Your application should now be complete. To be sure, please check your application status by following the prompts on this link. If you have any other questions please contact Colin Kelsey (Geography Graduate Program Coordinator: 614-292-2514 or via e-mail at email@example.com) well before the November/December deadline.